Recently I learned that you can burn up to 200 calories just by watching a horror movie. Of course, it needs to be something that you actually find scary. In a study by the University of Westminster, people that watched up to 90 minutes of a scary movie burned up enough calories to burn off a candy bar. This is about the same amount of calories you’d use up walking for 30 minutes.
Apparently, the best movie for burning calories was The Shining. Study participants that watched this movie burned an average of 184 calories. Jaws was the runner-up film, coming in at 161 calories. And The Exorcist was 3rd at around 158 calories.
Some more runner-ups include Alien, Saw, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Project, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
Other Weird Ways To Burn Calories
This got me curious about how many calories you can burn doing various things. Here’s what I found.
- You can burn up to 40 calories laughing for 10 minutes.
- Singing can burn 10-20 per song.
- You’ll burn up 200 calories just banging your head against a wall for an hour. (Why would you want to though?)
- Hugging someone for a solid hour will burn off 70 calories.
- Kissing can burn up to 4 whole calories a minute.
- You’ll actually burn up to 7% more calories by walking on a dirt road than pavement.
- People that fidget a lot burn around 300 more calories per day. (Maybe it’s time to pick up one of those fidget spinners?)
- Spending time being cold might help activate brown body fat and give your metabolism a boost.
- Drinking cold water can also increase your metabolism because your body has to work harder to keep your body temperature normal.
Obviously, you burn calories no matter what you do. Just the very act of being alive burns calories. But I thought it was interesting to see the actual amount of calories you can burn by doing these things.
If you found this interesting check out Why Topamax Actually Sucks For Losing Weight.